“Every known illness is associated with a magnesium deficiency”, according to Dr. Norman Shealy, an American neurosurgeon and a pioneer in pain medicine. Magnesium is the most critical mineral required for electrical stability of every cell in the body.
We’ve recently brought in a new line of topical magnesium supplements by Ancient Minerals. After doing our research, we have found Ancient Minerals topical magnesium to be the most effective, easily absorbed and gentle on the body. Magnesium absorbed through the skin is welcomed and actively taken in by the cells.
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is the central element in chlorophyll and the basis of early life on the planet. Magnesium together with calcium, potassium and sodium is a macro-mineral which means that our body needs it in large quantities to function properly.
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in our bodies and it is critical in many bodily functions. Despite this only 1% of it is found in our blood, with 50% of it found in our bones and the other 49% in our cells.
What is Magnesium Deficiency?
For many people, a magnesium deficiency causes obvious negative symptoms – including muscle aches or spasms, poor digestion, anxiety, heart palpitations and trouble sleeping. Yet, magnesium deficiency is often overlooked and rarely tested.
Magnesium is one of the most crucial minerals to overall health. It’s involved in over 300 biochemical functions in the body, such as regulating heartbeat rhythms and helping neurotransmitter functions, but over 80% of the population is deficient.
A magnesium deficiency may be responsible for more diseases than any other nutrient. Because magnesium deficiency is largely overlooked, millions of Americans suffer needlessly or are having their symptoms treated with expensive drugs when they could be cured with magnesium supplementation.
Why is magnesium deficiency so common?
There are lots reasons why we are magnesium deficient in our modern world, between soil depletion, preservatives in our food and the high rates of prescription and antibiotic medications that cause digestive disorders that lead to malabsorption of magnesium and minerals.
The body loses magnesium every day from normal functions such as movement, heartbeat and hormone production, but even more during times of stress, pregnancy, exercise, and surgery. Magnesium is extremely important for your metabolism, enzyme function, energy production and more.
Benefits of Magnesium:
1. Better sleep – The sleep regulating hormone melatonin is disturbed when Magnesium is deficient. Magnesium also brings balance and controls stress hormones.
2. Relaxes the nervous system – Helps in the production of Serotonin, which relaxes the nervous system and elevates mood.
3. Bigger, stronger muscles – Magnesium allows the body to produce more Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1), which is a major contributor to the growth and strength of muscles. Magnesium helps create ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which is the cell’s energy store.
4. Better flexibility – Magnesium loosens tight muscles. Without it, muscles don’t relax properly and cramps occur. It is important for flexibility, because low Magnesium results in a buildup of lactic acid, causing pain and tightness.
5. Bone integrity and strength – Magnesium helps to fix calcium properly. Calcium supplements actually are being found to contribute osteoporosis.
6. Remineralizes teeth – Magnesium deficiency causes an unhealthy balance of phosphorous and calcium in saliva, which damages teeth.
7. Alkalizes the body – Magnesium helps return the body’s pH balance. Magnesium reduces lactic acid, which is partly responsible for post-exercise pain (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness).
8. Hydrates – Magnesium is a necessary electrolyte essential for proper hydration.
9. Helps to relieve constipation – Magnesium can be used to cleanse the bowels of toxins.
10. Enzyme function – Enzymes are protein molecules that stimulate every chemical reaction in the body. Magnesium is required to make hundreds of these enzymes work and assists with thousands of others.
11. Diabetes – Magnesium enhances insulin secretion, which facilitates sugar metabolism. Without Magnesium, glucose is not able to transfer into cells. Glucose and insulin build up in the blood, causing various types of tissue damage, including the nerves in the eyes.
There are many other benefits of Magnesium: It helps prevent stroke, heart disease, period pain, and more. A magnesium deficiency can cause significant symptoms.
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency
- Hypertension and cardiovascular disease
- Kidney and liver damage
- Coronary spasms
- Irregular or rapic heartbeat
- Nutrient deficiencies including vitamin K, vitamin B1, calcium and potassium
- Restless leg syndrome
- Worsened PMS symptoms
- Behavioral disorders and mood swings
- Insomnia and trouble sleeping
- Recurrent bacterial or fungal infections due to low levels of nitric oxide or a depressed immune system
- Tooth cavities
- Muscle weakness and cramps
- Calcium deficiency
- Potassium deficiency
If you’re interested in getting an accurate reading of your magnesium levels, go to www.requestAtest.com or www.directlabs.com and type in “Magnesium RBC”. You will be asked for your zip code and sent to a local lab for a blood draw. You will receive your results within seventy-two hours. Optimal levels are between 6.0-6.5 mg/dL.
For further reading, The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean, has been a great resource and reference for us, as well as some of her videos on magnesium:
4 thoughts on “Magnesium For A Healthy Body”
We love the Magnesium spray oil we got from BodyQuirks. We spray it on the bottom of our feet before bed and it has helped my husband sleep more peacefully and deeply.
Thanks to Tara and Esther for staying on top of things to improve our health!
Thanks Diane, glad it is helping your husband. We are feeling great differences in our bodies the more we use it.
Hi Esther and Tara,
Dia here…Orv and I used a spray mag. for years and liked it. Now I take it in a powder form in a smoothe.
I was looking at the Dr.’s mag lotion on Amazon the several customers were negative because of the Germaben which they said
was Paraben in disguise. Wouldn’t use it after they bought it with the cancer info out there on Paraben. it was Dr. S lotion other used it and had good results.
My Sjogren’s has progressed and I have to be careful of being around anyone that might have virus/colds/bugs just because I have no secretion to combat any virus. It has been suggested that moving the lymph around is important for me like using a WBV or Zen Chi massager. Thought I’d ask you what you think would work for me on a small level being small and budget needs to be considered.
The basement area has Pilates equipment could move a stationary bike. The Zen Chi which you know probably is lay on the floor and it does a figure eight movement through the body, Lot of them for sale cheap…but???
Any thought/suggestions would be appreciated.
Hugs….Dia and Libs
Hello Dia, nice to hear from you! So sorry to hear that you are not feeling well these days, but I know you will take good care of yourself.
On the question of the chi machine versus WBV, they both help with lymph movement, the one thing about the chi machine is that you have the same thing over and over, and with the WBV machine you have quite a bit of variety in speed and intensity. Besides the need to get on the floor and then back up is something to consider for the future, now you are in good enough shape to do it. On the WBV machine you can also sit on it or just put your feet to get the lymph movement also.
Knowing what we know about WBV I see that it has more long term viability. We have a different machine now for sale and it is on sale foe 999.00 instead of 1200.00 so it is a good deal.
Hope to see you soon, and also hope that you feel better soon.