By Tara Krupich, LMT
Emotional Strain and Empaths
As I have mentioned before, being an Empath can not only be overwhelming at times, emotionally, it can also drain your body energetically and deplete your immune system. Because of the increased sensitivity to other people’s emotions including their pain, anger, or stress and the scientific correlation between these negative emotions and the overall health and wellness of the average human being — it becomes extremely important for empathic individuals to protect themselves and their immunity from the energetically toxic burden of other people’s emotions.
Though we generally write blogs on recurring themes in our practice, or tidbits we want to share with our clients like exercises or proper workstation alignment, the posts in this Empath Series feel somehow different. Maybe the biggest difference is that it’s all so much more personal to me, because of my intimate experiences with being an Empath or being “too sensitive” my whole life.
Because of this, these posts are not just helpful advice or interesting tidbits — for me, it has all been more intense than that. If I hadn’t learned how to feel and harness my own energy, I would probably not still be here — it was all just too overwhelming.
Survival Skills for Empaths
Grounding Tips for Empaths
- Remember that who you really are is an eternal spiritual being, whole and perfect — pure joy and energy. As French philosopher, priest, geologist, and mystic, Teilhard de Chardin once said,
“You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”
- Get massage — I was forced to receive an abundance of massage during school and thank goodness for that. This can increase your body awareness and help you to see and feel the effects of taking on other people’s energy and also help you to neutralize some of those effects.
Cleansing your energy field and body of old repressed emotions is also very important. When we are free of all of resistance, we are in our natural state of joy and peace — how good is that?
There are many modalities of energy work that can help you facilitate emotional and energetic alignment, this happens to be one of my specialties — working within these energetic modalities. It’s where I do my most passionate work.
As you have probably surmised, I am drawn to this work, not only because of my own intense experiences with energy work and it’s balancing properties, but also, because my gift (see, I no longer consider it a disability) allows me to to help others get clear and regain their energetic balance.
- It is for this reason, I also recommend working with someone (like me!) for your Emotional release and energy alignment needs. This is very empowering work, and completely and intuitively customized to your needs. It is here, that we can see what tools are or are not working for you and it’s a safe place to fine tune your process, with the help of an experienced coach. Don’t hesitate to call or email if you have questions.
- Craniosacral Therapy— Many of Esther’s clients (including me) have experienced the amazing sensation of this powerful, yet totally relaxing therapy. I love this work. To explore this modality or for answers to your questions about CranioSacral Therapy, contact Bodyquirks’ own, Esther Bell.
Other Recommendations for Empaths
- If you have the time and the desire there is group class (8weeks) that I highly recommend called A B C Psychic Kindergarten given by Liliana Barzola. It teaches you all about energetic boundaries and alignment. Just go to her site to get a flavor of her powerful, yet fun workshops.
- Though there are many elements and tools, such as crystals, sage etc., these practices are very personal and subjective, and may or may not “work” for you and your comfort level. In his Article, I’m and Empath, Now What? by Michael R Smith, he explores ways in which to harness or develop your empathic skills, as well as using some of these tools for healing and protection. He also has a ebook called The Complete Empath Toolkit: 44 Practical Steps to Master Your Energy and Personal Power available for purchase if you’re so inclined. (I am not in any way affiliated, nor do I get anything for linking to this book.)
As you can see there are a variety of solutions for decreasing the ill effects of being “sensitive” to other energy in our world. Maybe one of the most important, is to begin to be aware of drastic changes in your own emotional state caused by feelings outside of yourself.
The more mindful and present you become, the more aware of this external energy’s destabilizing effects, the more you can actively work to keep yourself clear and grounded. Allowing you to boost not only your own immunity, but your overall sense of well-being and maybe even helping to raise the vibrations of those around you.
- Are you an Empath? (bodyquirks.wordpress.com)