You’ve seen it before and you’ve probably had it in a salad dressing, but you may not know that this inexpensive item is great for a host of health issues! Health expert, David Wolfe, says that taking Apple Cider Vinegar for 60 days can even eliminate common health problems.
Here’s a list of what this amazing supplement can help with:
1. Digestion & Nutrient Absorption– Drinking 1 tsp to 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar in warm water 15 minutes before a meal can improve digestion and nutrient assimilation by increasing HCl production. HCl plays a crucial role in protein digestion by converting pepsinogen into pepsin, which breaks proteins down into amino acids. It promotes the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, fats, and vitamins A and E by stimulating the release of pancreatic enzymes and bile into the small intestine. Furthermore, acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can increase your body’s absorption of minerals from the food you eat.
2. Acid Reflux & GERD– Many digestive problems are caused by too little stomach acid, acid reflux and GERD are some of them. Acetic acid fights acid reflux with its enzymes and probiotics. Drinking a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water before you eat can remedy this easily.
3. Candida & Bacteria– the malic and acetic acids in the vinegar are antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal, which can help control the spread of the candida fungus in your intestines, and even kill off harmful yeast and bacteria in the gut, so it can normalize intestinal bacteria.
4. Cholesterol– Apple cider vinegar supports healthy cholesterol, by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It can even protect from arterial damage or oxidation, which is the main risk of high cholesterol. ACV also can reduce blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
5. Weight-loss– Acetic acid in the vinegar is an appetite suppressant, increases your metabolism, and reduces water retention. According to Authority Nutrition and studies from at the US National Library of Medicine, “Vinegar along with high-carb meals can increase feelings of fullness and make people eat 200-275 fewer calories for the rest of the day.”
6. Blood Sugar– Apple cider vinegar supports a healthy blood sugar level, with it’s strong anti-glycemic properties. The vinegar blocks some of the digestion of starch, preventing it from raising your blood sugar. It lowers post-meal and fasting glucose levels and is great for diabetics. The anti-glycemic effect of ACV has been proven in several studies, even by the American Diabetes Association, including this one that concluded, “vinegar can significantly improve post-prandial insulin and sensitivity in insulin resistant subjects…thus, vinegar may possess physiological effects similar to acarbose or metformin (anti-diabetic drugs)”.
7. Immune System– ACV is also anti-viral and can benefit your lymphatic system by helping to cleanse lymph nodes and break up mucus in the body. It’s great for a sore throat and if taken for a longer term, can relieve sinus congestion, reduce colds and alleviate allergies.
We love Dr. Axe and his insightful, yet easy to follow nutritional advice. Here’s a short video he did on the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar: