In this series on Being an Empath, we’ve defined and discussed what an Empath is and how to find out if you’re one. We’ve also shared our tips for helping Empaths in building their immune systems. Today, we wanted to add a few more noteworthy resources for our sensitive friends — because, when you’re an Empath, it is important that you ground yourself, in order to stay clear and functioning at your best.
Before we delve into the 7 tools, I want to take a moment to recommend New York Times Best Selling Author and Psychiatrist, Judith Orloff, who has taken psychiatry to a whole new, more intuitive level. Orloff has a large array of products offered on her site from books, cds and dvds on developing your intuition to a complete online course for combating those energy-sucking “emotional vampires.” Orloff also has a rich, resources page you should check out too, if you get a chance.
Her latest book is called, Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself From Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life.
7 Great Tools for Clearing your Energy and Space
- Salt: Use it in your bath (see our recipe for a relaxing epsom salt bath.) I also place little bowls of salt in my office and in every room in my house. Low vibration energy is pulled into the salt, which is, by nature, a high vibration.
- Smudging: Cleansing negative energy with smoke from various resins or herbs like sage can help your space feel life a “safe zone,” from negative energy.
- Tuning forks, rattles or bowls: This tip uses the theories of resonance and entrainment to bring your vibratory rate back into balance. As energetic beings, each of us has our own vibratory rate, as does every object in the universe. this is evidenced by the simple act of tapping a wine glass, depending on if it is empty or full, on the glass’ thickness, size and shape — the ringing sound it emits will be different. This is its resonant frequency. Our cells are constantly vibrating, creating and maintaining that life force energy — what the theory of entrainment says is that those vibrations are mutable as influenced by vibrations that are stronger in nature. So if you want to raise your vibrations (in effect, cleansing them) grab a tuning fork, rattle or bowl designed for this type of cleansing and watch what happens when you find the right tool for you. By tapping and letting its resonance sound in your space, that your body, mind and spirit, will relax and settle into a place of clarity and joy — refreshing and grounding you.
- Essential oils As we pointed out above, everything has its own natural vibration, including these powerful healing oils. this should come as no surprise, as eastern and even western medicine have come to agree that, theses flowers and herbs’ aromas and even their dried, fresh and tinctured varieties have proven healing properties. In Dr. Michael R Smith’s “Complete Empath toolkit” he notes the following Nervous System Relaxers and their benefits:
- Reduce anxiety: Lavender, Basil, Chamomile, Bergamot, Cedar wood, Rose, Neroli, Ylang Ylang Nervous System Stimulants
- Increased energy: Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Lemon, Orange, Rosemary, Peppermint Energy Protection
- Repellents: Rosemary, Frankincense, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Sage, Geranium, Citronella.
5. Crystals and Stones These have been used to balance energy and to help people heal.
- Quartz crystals are used for power, clarity, healing, protection, balancing, and energizing.
- Citrine is often used for success, healing, abundance, happiness and purifying.
- Amethyst tranquility, spirituality, healing, and psychic protection.
- Rose Quartz is believed to be the crystal of love, emotional healing, romance, and compassion.
6. Affirmations or Prayers of Intention These are powerful reinforcers to your life path, as well as a great way to keep your intention focused and on track. When your energy is influenced by another or by the negative bombardment of the outside world, having these affirmations at the ready can be a wonderful reminder of who you are and where your energy is most at peace. I will go into this more in the next post in this series.
7. Healthy, Uncluttered Living This feeds your energy and cleanses that which does not serve you. Like the bountiful garden that comes from tilled soil, all your growth will be more fruitful and enjoyable if you clean up (and weed) your messy garden first, before planting. Here’s a great place to start over at the Healthy Living Lounge.